From looking at all the exercises that we have done so far, I have come to the conclusion of the ones that would really help to make the end of term performance and show the potential of experimental theatre.
Contact Improvisation is a very good exercise. If we are looking towards showing the unconscious mind in action then this exercise would be good because it makes you forget about the people around you and makes you connect with yourself and the senses that you tend to not pay attention to. For example touch. The theme that this show needs to highlight and project to the audience is that we are representing drugs that affect the mind. Or in other words ‘the impacts of external stimulus.’ Using your skin to get to know external stimuli gives you a new and different perspective of thing than if you used the sense of sight, hearing and/ or smell.
Riffing is a good exercise even though from an outside viewer the people do it may look a bit pathetic. However, it’s know that riffing can be very useful when searching for yourself or physically finding a story to tell. From taking part in the exercise, I can express that I have never felt so vulnerable yet so free when doing an in-class exercises. Being in the circle and having my eyes shut, I must admit I felt so stupid moving about, but eventually I let everything go and I let my body speak for myself. I accepted the energy from everyone else and built up myself esteem. It was a moment that was different, yet so beautiful with creativity, freedom, confidence and acceptance.
Ganzfeld Effect is a good exercise mainly for the intention of gaining inspiration from the depths of your mind. It was relaxing, and interesting because I went through things that I never really questioned or thought about before. For example When I managed to get into it I started to feel this fuzzy feeling within my body. It wasn’t exactly pins and needles and I’m not so sure if it actually was the feeling of my blood rushing through my body because the feeling differentiated every few minutes. It was hard to say but that strong feeling I can only describe and relaxing and pleasurable. From staring at nothing for such a long time I believe I started to hallucinate things. I saw different colours in forms of steam/smoke that spread across my provisional vision and merged into shapes and other colours. I assumed that happened because my sense of sight became hungry in the need on seeing colour and the things around me or I saw theses things because it was a feature that simply occurred in my mind and whatever happened in my mind , my inner voice didn’t simply speak out like usual, as a matter of fact it used my sense of sight to project it right in front of me. I went further into analysing this as I thought that the colours could of represented how I felt and the smoke/steam was recreating the images from my memory/mind. This became a sort of inspiration that made me want to use this in my work.
No comments:
Post a Comment